Monday, January 24, 2011

What Makes a Teacher? By Letting Go of Traditional Ideas I Discovered a Different World

What exactly makes a good teacher? Is it the one with the most degrees? The one with the most published books? The one who markets themselves best? What exactly qualifies someone as a "teacher?" Like probably most of us, I admit to having [false] ideas of what makes a good teacher. I've concluded that it has very little to do with the teacher and everything to do with the student.

Amazing enough, what ever I required to get me to the next level of thinking (or doing) simply appeared.  It still does today.  The teacher showed up when my level of passion to learn matched the level of passion that a teacher had on the subject. However, the teacher almost never showed up in the form we would traditionally imagine.

Teachers in a Box

Unpacking boxes after arriving in Delaware I discovered one particular (very heavy) box of books from authors like Deepak Chopra, Marianne Williamson, Tony Robbins, Steven Covey, and more -- some over 10 years old -- none of which were ever touched by me.  I couldn't even tell you how I acquired them.  Looking back it's almost as though they were chasing me down and I was too busy to notice them. My husband read Steven Covey in the early 90s and I recall him attempting to get me on board with some of his ideas.  The student wasn't ready.  Let me digress for a second and take a moment to publicly apologize, "Sorry, honey...you were right."


Angels Getting My Attention and Bearing Gifts

What happens next is all about the Law of Synchronicity (in other words, there is no such thing as coincidence).  I suppose I had to be forcibly stopped--starting with my knee--a torn meniscus.  I arranged for a Reiki healing to help support the upcoming surgery and when the session was over the Reiki healer and I never discussed my knee but the deep pain I felt in my upper back.  It showed up almost out of nowhere and man was I in pain!  She said to me, "Have you ever heard of Etherical Cords?"  What?  Was she speaking in tongues?  When I left I couldn't even recall what she said to me.  The student wasn't ready.

Preparing for surgery I went to the internet and researched meditation techniques that would help with pre and post operation.  During my search, I came across an internet radio station, Hay House Radio and it peaked my interest.  I clicked on the show and listened while I continued to do my research. 

Doreen Virtue was hosting her show and I "happen" to catch "this" particular show where she discussed.....are you ready....Etherical Cords.  There were those words again!  This time I wrote them down.  I figured I had to deal with my upper back pain eventually, but in the meantime, I was going to get through knee surgery and when I recovered I promised myself to get back to researching Doreen Virtue and Etherical Cords (along with some Motrin to ease the pain).

Home from surgery (it went smoothly by the way) I had a couple of days in bed to recover.  I no sooner get comfortable in my bed and the doorbell rings.  My husband answers the door and then reappears in the bedroom with a box.  He hands it to me and says, "It's for you."  I hadn't ordered anything so this was a surprise.  It was a gift from my sister...a book...by Doreen Virtue.  To top it off, my sister placed a post-it note marking the page where Virtue discusses Etherical Cords.  My body was literally tingling with energy.

Photo by Ximena Brunette
I was in bed and in awe.  It was like the Angels were saying, "We've been trying to get your attention. Please listen and read this book and get yourself on track."  I did and I got on track.  I learned about Angels, God, healing, energy...oh, and etherical cords and the back pain went away.  The Universe did me one better though.  After a lifetime of Motrin and Aleve it decided I should be allergic to them now.  I can't use them as a crutch anymore.

Doreen Virtue holds B.A., M.A., and Ph.D. degrees in counseling psychology.  All very important and I am not diminishing their value, but where is the degree for Angels?  It is Doreen's passion and experiences since childhood that matched my interest in learning and opened up a world to me that is beautiful and loving and healing and leaves me in a state of awe.  Since then I've removed my blinders and encountered many teachers in a variety of forms.  The Buddhist Proverb definitely proved itself to be true, "When the student is ready, the master appears."





No comments:

There was an error in this gadget

More things of interest

If you see something that peeks your interest. Feel free to take a look.